Apache Stratos will be a polyglot PaaS framework, providing developers a cloud-native environment for developing, testing, and running scalable applications. With Apache Stratos, IT providers will gain high utilization rates, automated resource management, and platform-wide insight including monitoring and billing.
Apache is the obvious choice for a project that already embodies Apache values and is driven by developers who are committers on many other Apache projects. By donating the project to Apache, WSO2 desires to attract open community members from the following constituencies:
- Organizations adopting Private PaaS deployment within an enterprise and accelerating enterprise application deployment.
- PaaS providers relying on a PaaS framework to build a PaaS that is customized to their particular vertical industry, ecosystem, or internal development processes.
- SaaS providers requiring a widely-deployed and supported elastic, multi-tenant Cloud-native platform.
- ISPs offering hosted application services with higher resource utilization capabilities than provided by IaaS layers.
- IaaS vendors providing higher-level PaaS services to their customers.
- Analytics, data, integration, and application server vendors adding cloud capabilities to their products through Stratos Cartridges.
The proposed committer list includes individuals from SUSE, Citrix, NASA Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL), Sungard, and EngineYard. Join the Apache Stratos community, participate in extending the 100% Open Source PaaS framework, and create a Cloud-Native fabric.
Figure 1.0: Apache Stratos Architecture