New IT models include providing a user-friendly experience commonly found in consumer app stores. The goals, challenges, and execution plan when creating an Enterprise App Store should be considered.
Why Create an Enterprise App Store? Goals!
- Obtain a user-friendly experience commonly found in consumer app stores
- Business teams and individuals can rapidly find useful applications that will help them perform their tasks, increase their productivity, or obtain relevant information.
- Business teams and individuals can directly subscribe to applications and use the application without IT intervention.
- Companies can efficiently maintain budget, access, and compliance controls
- IT groups can promote application solutions that conform to corporate policies (e.g. security, service level, budget) and are pre-integrated with corporate resources (e.g. identity directory, workflow, content, structured data, business processes).
- IT groups can manage licensing, distribution, and upgrades that impact overall IT spend and user experience.
- IT groups can provision access when employees on-board and turn-off access when an employee leaves the project or company.
What are Enterprise App Store Challenges? Hurdles!
- Promoting and displaying applications that are relevant to the enterprise app store user.
- Understanding license and infrastructure costs
- Establishing and maintaining access approval and budget approval processes.
- Eliminating lengthy identity and access provisioning tasks
- Controlling the distribution and upgrade of applications on mobile devices
- Integrating applications with corporate resources
- Delivering dashboards providing visibility into application subscriptions, usage, license audits, and policy compliance.
How to Create an Enterprise App Store – Execution!
- Create on-demand, automated provisioning of application access and application configuration
- Integrate user identity and single sign-on (SSO) with App Store
- Ideally, select apps that are OAuth compliant and integrate with identity management and authorization infrastructure
- Apply policy based promotion, access control, and data security policies to apps and APIs
- Create branded App Stores that target a segment of the enterprise user population (e.g. HR, call center, sales force, field engineer)
- Interface enterprise app store with mobile device management (MDM) infrastructure
To solve key challenges and create your own App Store, evaluate the WSO2 Enterprise Store product.